In this class, you will learn how to modernize your proposal writing, resulting in improved proposal quality and increased win rates. Students will learn what constitutes a great proposal as well as how to plan and write compelling proposals to efficiently increase proposal evaluation scores. Class exercises allow students to practice these skills with instructor feedback.
What you will learn
- How the government evaluates proposals in order to write content that achieves high scores
- Seven proven quality measures for analyzing proposal content
- How to modernize content to grab and hold evaluator attention
- How to plan content effectively using annotated outlines and content plans
- How to gather information such as proof points for better persuasion
- How to develop Strength Statements
- How to use the SUPS method for better articulation of value proposition
- How to develop titles and action captions for graphics that underscore key messages
- How to write compelling proposal content
Who should attend?
This course is designed for technical and managerial professionals, writers, solution architects, and all proposal professionals who are called upon to write sections of proposals or lead proposal volumes. (Eligible for 10 APMP CEUs)
Seminar schedule (three modules over 3 days)
Module 1: Planning to write (approximately 4 hours)
- Introductions and purpose
- How the government evaluates your writing
- Defining a great proposal
- Applying Seven Quality Measures
- Activity: Review and critique writing using the measures
- Ensuring compliance and responsiveness
- Activity: Prepare an outline
- Gathering the information you need to write
- Annotating outlines and using content plans
- Conclusions and Q&A
Module 2: Writing compelling technical and management sections (approximately 4 hours)
- Module 1 Recap
- Impacts of digital distractions and telework
- Making your proposal compelling with strength statements
- Activity: Write a strength statement
- Writing compelling technical and management sections
- Activity: Write using SUPS
- Writing compelling titles and action captions
- Activity: Write a title and action caption
- Conclusions and Q&A
Module 3: Writing compelling resumes and past performance (approximately 4 hours)
- Module 1–2 Recap
- Writing resumes
- Activity: Write a resume success story
- Writing past performance
- Activity: Write a relevancy paragraph
- More writing tips
- Activity: Rewrite bad writing
- Lessons learned
- Conclusions and Q&A
Lisa Pafe teaches our Strength-Based Proposal Reviews for Federal Contractors, Modern Proposal Writing for Federal Contractors, Strength-Based Winning™ for Federal Contractors, and APMP Foundation Certification classes. She brings 30 years’ experience in management consulting, marketing, business development, project management, and proposal management. Her experience also encompasses project management, business process improvement, and organizational change management. She is a Project Management Institute (PMI) certified Project Management Professional (PMP) and an Association of Proposal Management Professionals (APMP) Fellow with Professional-level certification (CPP APMP). She is a trained Internal Auditor for ISO 9001:2008.
She holds a Masters of Information Systems from The George Washington University School of Business and a Masters of Public Policy from Harvard University. Lisa has managed hundreds of winning government proposals and brings extensive experience in all aspects of business capture and proposal operations. Lisa was the 2016–2017 APMP National Capital Area (NCA) Chapter President and previously served as Vice President and Chair of NCA’s Speaker Series Planning Committee.
Brenda Crist teaches our Modern Proposal Writing for Federal Contractors class, Preparing Teams to Grow Business for Federal Contractors, and APMP Foundation Level Certification Preparation classes. Brenda Crist has more than 30 years of experience providing capture, proposal, and program management support for IT companies serving the federal market. She is currently a Vice President at Lohfeld Consulting Group. Prior to becoming a full-time proposal professional, Brenda served as a Group Manager for OAO Corporation and Project Manager for Harris Corporation. She has provided onsite system, application, and network management solutions for civilian and military clients.
Brenda holds a Master’s Degree in Public Administration from American University. She is certified at the Professional Level from the Association of Proposal Management Proposals (APMP) and has delivered APMP certification training to hundreds of students since 2011. Brenda is an APMP Fellow and former Chapter Chairperson of the Year.
Brooke Crouter teaches our Strength-Based Winning™ and Modern Proposal Writing classes. She has 27+ years’ experience providing strategic leadership in pursuit of professional and IT services contracts, serving as capture manager, proposal manager, writer, trainer, capture/proposal process developer, and institutional best practices expert.
As a former Navy Commander and with a 14-year career with Booz Allen, her background encompasses competitive intelligence and assessment, capture strategy and planning, offer definition, and proposal development. She has particular expertise in assisting clients with process and procedure development and methodology against industry best practices and standards. Brooke holds a Masters of Science in Telecommunications Management from the Naval Postgraduate School. She is also a Certified American Grant Writer and holds APMP certification.