Recently, in the Proposal Writers Group on LinkedIn, Jessie Kim posted, “Can anyone suggest a couple top proposal books? Trying to come up with some great ones for my team to start with for our book club.”
Jesse’s question generated many suggestions of favorites provided by Adrian Rush, John Morgan, Mike Parkinson, Ali Paskun, Nigel Thacker, Larry Newman, Tim Smith, Paul Eveleigh, Sandra Carter, Chuck Keller, Lauren Godoy, and Sarah Thayer. I’ve also received multiple suggestions (included below) after I shared our Lohfeld Consulting Group’s favorites in previous blog posts; some appear in this LinkedIn group’s suggestions as well.
- Lohfeld Team’s Favorite Business, Proposal, and Design Books (https://www.lohfeldconsulting.com/blog/2012/02/lohfeld-team-favorite-business-proposal-books/)
- Top 10 Favorite Business/Proposal Development-related Books from Beth Wingate
- 360 Degrees of Influence: Get Everyone to Follow Your Lead On Your Way To The Top (hardcover, Kindle) by Harrison Monarth
- Association of Proposal Management (APMP) Journal
- Be a Brilliant Business Writer: Write Well, Write Fast, and Whip the Competition (paperback, Kindle) by Jane Curry and Diana Young
- Chuck Keller’s ProposalCafe website offers a comprehensive book listing by topic, with short descriptions
- Fascinate: Your 7 Triggers to Persuasion and Captivation (hardcover, Kindle, audio) by Sally Hogshead
- Persuasive Business Proposals: Writing to Win More Customers, Clients, and Contracts (paperback, Kindle) by Tom Sant
- Persuasive Proposals and Presentations: 24 Lessons for Writing Winners (paperback, Kindle) by Heather Pierce
- Hope Is Not A Winning Strategy. . . But Price To Win (PTW) Is!: An insider’s guide to Price To Win (PTW) (paperback) by Anthony Constable
- Proposal Writing: The Art of Friendly and Winning Persuasion (paperback) by William S. Pfeiffer and Charles H. Keller Jr.
- RFP Nation (paperback) by Martin Andelman
- RFPs Suck! How to Master the RFP System Once and for All to Win Big Business (hardcover, paperback, Kindle) by Tom Searcy
- Shipley Capture Guide (paperback) by Larry Newman
- Shipley Proposal Guide, 4th Edition (paperback) by Larry Newman
- Successful Proposal Strategies for Small Business: Using Knowledge Management to Win Government, Private-Sector, and International Contracts (book and CD) by Bob Frey (http://www.amazon.com/Successful-Proposal-Strategies-Small-Businesses/dp/1596932260)
- The Jelly Effect – How to Make Your Communication Stick (paperback, Kindle) by Andy Bounds
- The Language of Success (paperback, Kindle) by Tom Sant
- Winning Your Rebid (hardcover, Kindle) by Nigel Thacker
What are your favorite proposal- and business development-related books? Share them with me at BWingate@LohfeldConsulting.com, and I’ll update this list periodically.